Monday, December 1, 2008

Proud to be Keling

I know that I’m being a keling here. Wanna know why? Because I promised that I will blog frequently but after such a long break only now I manage to write again. So isn’t it called as Janji Keling. Did you guys realize that recently the word keling have became a major talk of the town as everyone is calling everyone keling.

What actually the word ‘keling’ means? There are many interpretations for the word keling. Some say according to Dewan Bahasa Pustaka, the word refers to Indian Muslim community who hails from India. Another interpretation would be the word is used to call Indians during the colonial stages etc. Even recently I read in one of my friends blog that the word keling is used to address ladies with kolusu. (Kolusu means the anklet, which is worn by Indian women) The sound from kolusu which is made from the anklet “kling..kling” is where the word keling originated from. Well as for me personally I don’t know what the hell is the actual meaning for KELING.

Im sure that you have read the headlines where one of the MP called another MP “keling”. I choose not to comment or address anything on political related issues because it’s just getting from bad to worse. Till the day Malaysian Politics becomes mature till then I will not write anything about it. (Hopefully) So coming back to the MP part. I have no idea why did he actually called another person keling. I know it feels nice to throw harsh remarks or comments towards another person whom you hate to the core.

Based on my personal experience, I think “keling” is cool word. Some Indians became so matured in their thinking where we are at a stage of taking it cool when it comes to the word keling. When someone calls us keling, we don’t get angry, well at least I don’t. Nah not at all.. I just laugh at the person who calls me keling. Sometimes my friends and me make fun with each other by calling us the kelings. For instance “dey keling, come let’s go for a drink” or even “Look at the time now. Blardy janji keling lar you f****ers!”

No matter countless times another person calls us keling or keling pariyah or what ever category of keling, we cant deny the fact of we are Indians and we are fuckin proud of it! Just by someone who is few thousand years younger than us callin Keling will not dampened our spirits. So lets be smart keling and not get angry or emotional about it. As for me, if they are referring to the fact where Indians/Hindus is equals to Keling. Well thank you, guess what we are the kelings who designed the geometrical and arithmetical techniques. The kelings who built architectures without the help of any technology or mass equipments. The same kelings who started living this earth about 5000 years ago (man-known years). Thank you for calling us keling, the same keling who actually being listed as one of the top billionaires in the world, predicted to be one of the superpower in the world. Thank you for those who referred us as kelings, as the kelings are the one who is getting hold of IT and the most advanced technology with just a snap of a finger and the keling list goes on..

I am not being racist at any point here, I’m just being proud to be keling, as how some calls us to be. Despite the numerous explanations have been given that Indians are not keling but some just fail to comprehend that. So let it be Indians = Keling. If that’s what makes you happy, then that’s what it is. Keling betul lar aku nie!

I have so much respect for my other religion friends and we even joke on calling names. My Chinese and Malay friends call me keling and I do call them back with terms referring to them. But it’s just mere fun and joy. End of the day we respect each other so much and we don’t give that two fucks about some immature individuals or politicians who call others keling.

Thank you.









6 comments:

HANUSHA said...

hehe.. nice write up. As you said, i dont care abt the word when someone calls me that as well (pernah kena kat sekolah la). cause i know they dont know what they are talking abt also. So let them be in their own useless world.

VASANTARAO APPALASAMY said...

Nice one bro...
I agree wit your points..
you have changed my view on the word 'keling'...

Anonymous said...

Tahniah Bro,

You are among the first Keling, who are very positive.

There is nothing 'racist' about the word.

Now my view to the word 'Keling' also change because of you.

Keep up the good work.

Kavi said...

lol! I managed to sneak a few laughs while reading this!

True bro,the word in itself is not derogatory. But most of the time, it is used with the INTENTION of being derogatory.

Same as calling sum1 a fag. If used in a joking manner, it means jackshit. But if used with the intent to hurt, then there's plenty of meanings behind it.

Good write-up. I'll add in the link of smtng i wrote sum time back, if u dont mind, :)

http://www.kavilan.com/2008/12/04/when-it-is-correct-to-say-keling/

BMahendran said...

yes brotha..its actually kewl :) learrned to live with Keling tag dy!

but as Kavi said, it all goes back to how u wanna use the term, to denote sumthing derogatory or not :)

Anonymous said...

hahaha.. I am a mixture of dayak. Do you know what keling means in dayak languages. Keling means The One or the most handsome. We do held competition about keling menua. We will perform any manhood ritual. We will hunt at night or simple ngajat.Now, it is fading due to the western influences. I do have a blast during the keling menua competition. xD